The Parish of Trelawnyd was formed in the latter half of the 13th Century…
It originally formed part of the Parish of Dyserth and the first reference to it is found in the Lincoln Taxation of 1291, where it is referred to as “Ecclesia de Deyserth, Cum Capella sue de Rywlyfnwyd”
St Michael’s Church at Trelawnyd is first recorded in 1291 The present church was built in 1724 and heavily restored in the 19thCentury. It contains a late medieval roof and part of a sepulchral slab but little else of early date. It occupies a sub-rectangular churchyard
The Church is listed by Cadw as a Grade II listed building. You can find out more about the Church here
A Churchyard Cross is Situated on the South Side of the old churchyard which dates from the late 1300s – It is probable that the cross predates any church building and that itinerant priests would have taken services in its shadow.
The Parish Church of St Michael and All Angels is a tiny church. It is just 55 feet long and 19feet wide. It boasts many interesting features including an East Window by Hemming, which was fixed at the time of the restoration in 1897.
The window was a gift from Mrs Nicholson , the daughter of the publicans of the Black Boy Hotel ( formally of High Street) and depicts the Crucifixion. Above the vestry door is a large painting entitled “I am”
It was painted by Leonard Hughes (RA) a local eccentric and recluse and was presented to the church on 1919 as a memorial to the officers and men of Flintshire who fell in the Great War.
It is said that local people, including the then Rector modeled for some of the various figures depicted in the painting
In the Churchyard there rare 18th Century Hooded tomb (below) and West Of the Church is situated a stone sun dial pillar. There is a newer Graveyard to the South of the ancient Churchyard. This was renovated in 2007 by local enthusiast Islwyn Evans.
General Contact Information
Canon Robert W Rowland
Tel: 01745 570 750
The “New” Graveyard
St Michael’s usual pattern of service is:
11.15am Sung Eucharist (1st and 3rd Sundays in the month)
3.00pm Evening Prayer (2nd and 4th Sundays in the month)
Visitors are very welcome at all services
The Church address is as follows: